Mike and I flew to St. Louis on Friday the 25th. He had not met my dad or my family and friends from St. Louis. So off we went. I (Mel) knew that one of t he main purposes of this travel was so that Mike could ask my dads permission to marry me..... I had no idea this weekend would end with a ring on my finger.
On Saturday we went all through St. Louis. On Sunday my parents threw a "shin-dig" for Mike and I so I could see all my friends and family and he could meet all of them. The party got going and next thing I know Grandma Mary walks in from Florida! What a surprise!!
The party keeps going on and its great. I love these people so much! Kathy Toettcher (My mom's best friend) comes to the party and she decides that Mike and I need to play a little game. This was so sweet of her and a lot of fun. We had to answer questions about each other and see if we got them right! We did really well on it! It was a lot of fun for people to get to know us better as well!
It seemed like grandma Mary was about to leave. Mike had seen the reaction that I had to her showing up and to having all my friends and family around. He knew when she walked in that this was the moment that He needed to wait. He wasn't going to wait any longer (he had plans to propose on the cruise we are going on the first week in October) . When he thought Grandma was getting ready to leave he went and had the conversation with my dad that he didn't get to finish earlier. They had this life altering discussion over the ice bucket... priceless. Mike asked Kathy to get everyone's attention again that there was another part to the game we were playing earlier.
Once everyone's attention was grabbed Mike started talking and we all started crying! He started to tell all of the 50 people who were there about the reasons he loved me. Telling them the things about me that make me such an amazing woman to him and that even though its only been about 3 months the amount of love we have for each other... I wish I could remember it all, I was crying and filled with excitement and disbelief that this was happening... Then Mike said that there was one more question that I had to answer. A question that didn't get put on my questionnaire from earlier. He handed me a piece of paper and asked me to read the question out loud. It said, "Melissa Scheer will you marry me?" As I read the question, he pulled the ring out of his pocket and got down on one knee and proposed to me! I said YES!
I couldn't imagine a more perfect proposal. The people that were there are some of the most important people in my life. People who helped raise me, people who still encourage and support me and people who have helped me to become the woman I am today!
I thank God for Mike! We are so blessed to be in a relationship together, we are so thankful God has brought us together forever!
Along with gaining an amazing soon to be husband this weekend, I am also gaining two amazing Children! Nathan (10) and Aliyah (9) ! They are so happy! We are one happy family!
4 comments:
Wow, what a story. I am certainly glad I was there to witness it! I thank God also for the two of you and the relationship that He has formed and continues to keep his guiding hands in. It will be a fun 8 months of planning. Love you, MOM
Wow what a gorgeous ring!!! Congrats Melissa we are so happy for you. You did a great job of describing the proposal for those of us who missed it.
John and Pam! I wanted to call you guys and tell you in person but when I switched phones I lost numbers! Pam--can you facebook me or email me your numbers? I love you guys and miss you and hope all is well!
congrats Mel...just got married myself and...have two step-kids...they are great though and I know you will be an awesome mommy to them!!!!
Post a Comment